There are many written and spoken languages throughout the kingdoms of Roshar.
All glyphs are vertically symmetrical, and the written Alethi script is horizontally symmetrical around the line on which it is written.
- Known Terms
- Mathana : Older Sister - Dalinar uses this to address Navani.
- Mashala : Aunt - Adolin and Renarin use this to address Navani.
- Accents and Dialects Mentioned
Kingdom or Country: Bavland
- "Anak malah kaf, del makian habian yah ... ." "To be Human is to want that which we cannot have." Dalinar spoke this while in one of his visions.
- Navani responds, "It's a line from a song, ... A chant by the Vanrial ..."
- "... songs they claim were written in the Dawnchant by the Heralds themselves." 
Kingdom or Country: Herdaz
- Gancho: the term by which Lopen refers to Kaladin.
- Moolie: means mute.
Kingdom or Country: Iri
Kingdom or Country: Kharbranth
Kingdom or Country: Azir
Kingdom or Country: Emul
Kingdom or Country: Tukar
Kingdom or Country: The Shattered Plains
Kingdom or Country: Selay lands
Kingdom or Country: Shinovar
Kingdom or Country: Thaylenah
- "Shaylor mkabat nour.": "The winds have brought us safely." (A phrase of thanks.)
- "Mkai bade fortenthis!": meaning unknown.
- Babsk: possibly, master. Rysn, who is apprenticed to Vstim, refers to him as her babsk.
- Accents and Dialects Mentioned
Kingdom or Country: Unkalaki (Horneaters)
- Translates as a description of a special rock his father found. The entire name is a poem.
- Ali'i'kamura: referenced by Rock as a protector.
- Alaii'iku: meaning unknown. Rock called himself this as an explanation to why he could see Syl.
- Alil'tiki'i: meaning unknown. Might refer to Rock's title or rank.
- Rock ... " ... we would have to duel in the traditional alil'tiki'i fashion." 
- Rock, after he had shaved ... "I feel like a true alil'tiki'i again!" 
- Holetental : "Is of the holetental. For him only." (Rock, referring to the Surgebinding Kaladin has done.)
- Humaka'aban: refers to the beard, sideburns, pattern that Rock wears.
- Kaluk'i'iki : Rock says to Kaladin, "I shall name you my kaluk'i'iki". When no one gets the joke he explains that only a woman can be a kaluk'i'iki. It does not mean wife.
- Mafa'liki: spren. Referring to Syl, Rock names her thusly.
- Nuatoma: leader or chief.
- Uli'tekanaki: some type of god or guiding spirit or being.
- Rock says ... "By the Uli'tekanaki, Kaladin. I almost beleive you'll do it." 
- Rock says ... "The Uli'tekanaki guide you" to Kaladin.
- Umalakai'ki! ... Kama mohoray namavau ... ": meaning unknown. Rock bellowed this when they checked on Kaladin after the storm.
- Umarti'a: means cousin.
Kingdom or Country: Jah Keved
- "Alavanta kamaloo kayana" : (something something) crazy.
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 22. Eyes, Hands, or Spheres?
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 28. Decision
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Way of Kings, 43. The Wretch
- ↑ The Way of Kings, Inter3.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Way of Kings, 60. That Which We Cannot Have
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Way of Kings, 32. Side Carry
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 67. Words
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Way of Kings, Inter4.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 The Way of Kings, 3. City of Bells
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 The Way of Kings, 21. Why Men Lie
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 The Way of Kings, 49. To Care
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 27. Chasm Duty
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 The Way of Kings, 40. Eyes of Red and Blue
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 73. Trust
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 The Way of Kings, 23. Many Uses
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 34. Stormwall
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 35. A Light by Which to See
- ↑ The Way of Kings, 5. Heretic
- ↑ Duladen
- ↑ The Way of Kings, Inter1.
- ↑ Grump